About The Summits
The Texas School Safety Center hosts several regional Say What! Action Summits during the spring of each year. Summits utilize service learning to train 6th – 12th grade students in effective tobacco prevention activities aimed at reducing the harmful effects of tobacco, nicotine, and e-cigarette use in Texas.
Say What! Teen Ambassadors collaborate with Say What! staff to provide tobacco prevention education, teen leadership skill development, team building activities, and networking opportunities. Each Summit also includes a local community action event which each participant receives community services hours for.
Funding for the Say What! Action Summits comes from the Texas Department of State Health Services and allows TxSSC to offer this elite training and training materials completely FREE.
Summits are led by Say What! Teen Ambassadors who are select high school students from across Texas and have been trained to be statewide advocates for youth tobacco prevention.
Summit participants receive vaping prevention education, the opportunity to advance their advocacy skills, network and team build with other like-minded youth and adults and plan a tobacco prevention project for their school or community.
Youth groups who attend
also receive the following:
• A Summit Kit
• Commemorative shirts & lanyards
• Community Service Hours
• An opportunity to earn scholarships to attend the
Say What! Conference for free
• Breakfast & lunch
• A project planning workbook
• Peer-to-peer education
• An opportunity to connect with like-minded youth
8:30am – 9:30am
9:30am – 12:00pm
12:00pm – 1:00pm
1:00pm – 2:15pm
2:15pm – 3:30pm
3:30pm – 4:00pm
Check-In & Breakfast
Action Summit Begins
Afternoon Summit Sessions
Local Community Action Event
Closing Summit Session
Action Summit Concludes
Saturday, March 4th
Pitser Garrison Convention Center
Register by: February 20th
San Marcos, TX
Saturday, April 1st
San Marcos Activity Center
Register by: March 20th
Saturday, April 22nd
Register by: April 10th
Follow these simple steps to register your group to attend a Say What! Action Summit:
1) Each youth and adult who wants to attend must submit a registration form through the Register Now! button.
2) Download the Emergency Contacts and Medical Info (ECMI) form.
3) Each youth and adult attending must fill out the ECMI form, turn in the completed form to the groups’ Lead Adult Sponsor, and make sure the Lead Adult Sponsor sends it in on time.
4) Space is limited, so register by the deadline to reserve your spot. Note: You may be charged a $50 penalty per person to cover food and supply costs if you cannot make it and fail to let us know ahead of time.
5) Call the Say What! Staff at 512.245.7652 or email TxSayWhat@txstate.edu if you have questions.
How to Register
Registration & Cancellation Policies
Lead Adult Sponsors are responsible for ensuring registration forms have been submitted for their group (including all sponsors and drivers) to TxSSC. Summit registration will not be confirmed until all ECMI forms have been received for the group. Due to space limitations, we are unable to register additional non-replacement participants onsite.
Sponsors are responsible for notifying TxSSC of any and all cancellations no later than 7 days prior to the Action Summit. TxSSC may charge organizations for all cancellations or no-shows a $50 penalty per person to cover lost food and supply costs.
Summit locations are chosen based on the opportunity to serve as many Texas youth groups as possible. In order to provide a variety of school-based and community-based youth groups with the education and skills needed to combat the vaping crisis, staff reserve the right to request your group size be decreased should registration exceed maximum capacity.
For this year's Red Ribbon Week watch the Say What! Teen Ambassadors discuss:
• Common myths and facts about vaping
• The impact of vaping tobacco and marijuana on our health
• The deceptive tactics the tobacco industry uses to
promote these types of products
• What advocates are doing to fight back
• How youth and adults can join the fight
2022 Red Ribbon Week
Don’t forget to follow @TxSayWhat on social media.
Toll Free: 877.304.2727
Texas School Safety Center
ATTN: Say What Program
Texas State University
601 University Drive
San Marcos, TX 78666
Say What! was created and designed by young people from across Texas and connects students interested in eliminating tobacco from their schools and communities. The Say What! movement is funded by the Texas Department of State Health Services through a contract with the Texas School Safety Center at Texas State University.