Texas Tobacco-Free Conference
July 23 – 26, 2023
Has your youth group hosted an amazing tobacco prevention project? Or do they have a lot of wisdom to share with other youth groups? Submit an application to present at this year’s conference!
Breakout sessions at the Say What! Conference is designed to increase knowledge that is necessary for youth to educate their peers and community members about the dangers of all commercialized tobacco products and empower others to live a healthy, tobacco-free life.
These sessions are also intended to increase youth leadership skill development to assist youth and youth groups in their own project planning and engage in other youth tobacco prevention activities.
Youth groups interested in applying to present at conference should develop their session for both youth and adult participants as some adults attend breakout sessions with their youth group.
What are Breakout Sessions?
Presentation topics may include, but are not limited to:
• Utilizing social media
• Hosting a school-wide or community-wide event
• Unique tobacco prevention projects
• Creating a project for tobacco prevention awareness
days like Red Ribbon Week, Great American
Smokeout, Texas Tobacco-Free Kids Day
• How to work with school administrators
• Developing relationships with local decision makers
• Passing an ordinance like smoke-free parks
• Developing presentation skills
• Leading team building activities
• Creating presentations
• Building community partnerships
• Recruiting new members
1) Breakout sessions are a total of 45-minutes. Groups selected to present at conference may be asked to present twice.
2) Groups presenting should plan for at least 30-minutes of content delivery and 10-15 minutes to answer questions.
3) Breakout rooms will be equipped with a laptop, computer speakers, projector, screen, and presenter remote.
4) Groups are encouraged to plan their breakout session to be fun, engaging, and interactive. They are not expected to be a PowerPoint presentation.
Groups who are selected to present will receive a scholarship for all presenters to attend conference for free! Groups can learn more about requesting additional scholarships by visiting the Say What! Conference page.
Breakout session applications are due by Friday, March 31st. Applicants will be notified by Friday, April 14th.
• Youth group must be a registered Say What! Member Group.
• Proposed breakout session must have at least 1 youth presenter but no more than 4 presenters total.
If you have any questions, contact us at
877-304-2727 or TxSayWhat@txstate.edu
Toll Free: 877.304.2727
Texas School Safety Center
ATTN: Say What Program
Texas State University
601 University Drive
San Marcos, TX 78666
Say What! was created and designed by young people from across Texas and connects students interested in eliminating tobacco from their schools and communities. The Say What! movement is funded by the Texas Department of State Health Services through a contract with the Texas School Safety Center at Texas State University.